Thursday, July 20, 2006

Is Jimmy John's bread vegan?

The company website doesn't say. (Other fast-food companies offer detailed information on ingredients.) An online search yielded no clear answer.

After calling Jimmy John's corporate office and sending two e-mails, I finally got an answer. Jimmy John's bread is not vegan. I offer that information here for anyone else who's wondering.

comments: 16

Unknown said...

It's good though.

Christianlyle said...

bummer

Michael Leddy said...

At least one can take the Subway. (Sorry.)

Daniel A. Douglas said...

This is seriously disappointing. Their bread was one of my favorite things! I guess that still leaves the unwich, which isn't too appealing in my opinion.

Michael Leddy said...

No, not appealing at all. Some other fast-food places are much more vegan-friendly.

Daniel A. Douglas said...

A good tactic, in my opinion, is to tell the waiter/waitress/manager/cashier that you are severely allergic to eggs and milk. Granted, this may seem unethical because it is a lie, but I would posit that it's much more unethical to participate in the egg, milk, and meat industries.

Anonymous said...

Did you happen to get a full ingredients list from them?

I am trying to avoid free glutens (MSG) just wanted to know.

Thanks!

Michael Leddy said...

No, i got no list, and there doesn’t seem to be such info at the company’s website.

alex said...

What ingredient makes the bread non-vegan?

Michael Leddy said...

I was told that milk is an ingredient.

Matt said...

Does anyone know if this applies to both Whole Grain and French Bread?

Michael Leddy said...

I don’t think Jimmy John’s offered whole-grain bread when I inquired. There’s still no ingredient info on the company’s website — not a friendly gesture, in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

I finally got a list of ingredients from a store, and there are NO animal products in it. However, just like any other product, it has a list of allergens at the end, and it states "May contain egg or soy products." They believe it is because where the bread is manufactured, and I wonder if it is in the wash on the top of the bread (but it isn't listed for some reason)

Michael Leddy said...

Very curious. There is still no ingredient info on the company’s website.

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone. Just wanted to chime in because I actually am severely allergic to egg and dairy products. Their sub bread is allergy free, (I ate it for several years regularly before going vegan) but I don't think the wheat sandwich bread is.

Michael Leddy said...

I would suggest that anyone in search of guidance do what I did several years ago: call Jimmy John’s headquarters and ask about ingredients. The company website still has no information about ingredients.

There are other chains that are vegan-friendlier. And there are other reasons why you might want to choose a different place to eat.