Tuesday, November 27, 2007

This is not my beautiful house



That man lives elsewhere, believe me. But that is my beautiful oven, or was.

I found this image at lileks.com while searching (unsuccessfully) for a picture of a professor from the dowdy world. The oven in question was made by General Electric. One such oven came with our house (I'm guessing that it was original equipment, circa 1959). That oven disappeared last week when we replaced it with a new one (also by GE) that heats evenly and doesn't have a non-working clock/timer emitting a constant slight buzz, reminding those of us sitting at the kitchen table that we really need to do something about that oven.

[Readers of a certain age are expected to recognize an allusion to Talking Heads' "Once in a Lifetime."]

All "dowdy world" posts (Pinboard)

comments: 3

Anonymous said...

Ha! I recognized the allusion - in fact, the Talking Heads were singing it in my head as I read your post title - so I am obviously of a certain age.

The old oven, despite its flaws, certainly had style, though, didn't it? Much like those slippers the gentleman is wearing...

(Came across your blog a few weeks ago by accident, somehow, and I've really been enjoying it since!)

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for reading and commenting, Thom.

I was tempted to try to save the door handle from this oven, but decided to let it go. I did though save a great metal nameplate -- WEIL-McCLAIN -- from the furnace we had to say goodbye to a few years back. Everything new is sleek and unornamented.

Chaser said...

I remember the song and the oven, and that makes Oldy McOld.