Sunday, March 15, 2009

Mint garlic tea

On NPR's Weekend Edition this morning, garlic farmer Chester Aaron recalled visiting the country of Georgia:

Every morning, they'd have a cup of mint tea into which they pressed three cloves of garlic. And if they were in their eighties or nineties, they pressed five cloves of garlic. And if they were over a hundred, they pressed six to eight cloves [laughs] of garlic. Every morning, mint garlic tea.
Weekend Edition is looking for garlic recipes.

Related post
Mint garlic tea tasting

comments: 4

Anonymous said...

just made a cup of garlic mint tea - it is delicious!!!!!! i am a convert - and now i will live forever!! *(ouch)

Michael Leddy said...

I've fought off many a cold with orange juice and garlic and am planning to try out some tea and garlic combinations. I'll report back when I do.

The online directions I've found involve no more than boiling water with a few cloves. But that doesn't seem to be what the Georgians were doing. Did you smash and chop the garlic and drink it down with the tea?

Anton Seim said...

I heard this story the other day and I was trying to recall where so I Googled "mint garlic tea" and landed here. Thanks for info.

Anonymous said...

i make this regulary. my modified version is sliced fresh garlic, 2 cloves crushed garlic and fresh mint. boil together and let steep 15 minutes...add honey and enjoy!