Sunday, November 1, 2009

“Trailing-edge technology”

“We’re interested in trailing-edge technology,” says photographer Karl Kessler, who collaborated with Sunshine Chen to document the work of men and women in vanishing trades: felting, typewriter repair, watchmaking, and so on.

“Hands On: Matters of Uncommon Knowledge” opens November 3 in Kitchener, Ontario. Read all about it:

Exhibit honours disappearing jobs and traditions (TheRecord.com)

A related post
“Old-world skillz”

comments: 2

Elaine said...

I carry something to do when I take my MIL to doctors' appts. One day I was doing some needle-tatting, and more than a few people asked if I was crocheting or knitting. Only one knew I was tatting. One man leaned in and said, "You know, that's a dying art."

Michael Leddy said...

It’s good that someone there recognized and appreciated what you were doing. I’m not sure though I’d like being told that I was engaged in a dying art. : )