Friday, March 26, 2010

Sue Shellenbarger declutters

Sue Shellenbarger tried three different approaches to decluttering:

After getting rid of 800 pounds of recycling and trash, hauling two SUV-loads of donations to Goodwill Industries, and dropping off 17 boxes of books at the public library, I am exhilarated by the newfound open space in my house, which seems bigger and more serene. . . . And I am more thoughtful about how I acquire, use and dispose of stuff.
Read more:

Testing Spring Cleaning Techniques (Wall Street Journal)

Maybe I don’t need an orange toothbrush after all.

No, wait. I do.

comments: 2

John Guzlowski said...

She should get rid of her SUV if she really wants to declutter. The bigger the car you have the more you will buy, the more you will have to store in your house.

When people drove around in VW bugs, no one had clutter!

We were pure, and had the grace of angels.

Michael Leddy said...

I dunno, John — circa 1980, I drove a tiny Honda Civic 1200 and had plenty of student-life clutter. But yes, stuff accumulates to fill the space available.