Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Fred Steiner (1923–2011)

Fred Steiner, who wrote the theme music for Perry Mason (and much else) has died.

The Perry Mason theme sent my brother and me into a frenzy in early childhood. The four-note phrases became a lyric: “The mum - my PRAYERS! The mum - my PRAYERS!” (Repeat until delirious.) The theme’s title, as I just learned, is “Park Avenue Beat,” which doesn’t seem to have anything to do with mummies.

(Via Sounds & Fury via Musical Assumptions.)

comments: 2

Daughter Number Three said...

I love that song as well. It's just so... so... over-the-top brassy. It makes me visualize a Mae West-type woman, moving sensually through a room full of men who keel over at the sight of her.

zzi said...

I always thought it was the best TV Theme and I didn't grow up in that era. Route 66 isn't bad either. There's a couple by Goldsmith and Mancini that aren't bad either.