Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Condiment challenge

[“Assortment of condiments to accompany lamb curry.” Photograph by John Dominis. United States, 1964. From the Life Photo Archive.]

I don’t know how I found my way to this photograph. I do know that I cannot identify all sixteen condiments. (I can identify just five.) How about you? You’re welcome to leave your best guesses in the comments. To identify condiments, think of them as forming four rows, left to right, from the top: 1, 2, 3, 4; 5, 6, 7, 8; and so on.

Here’s a larger version of the photograph that might help. Clicking on “Back to image details,” lower left, will give you the answers.

comments: 3

Elaine said...

The larger picture is a big help. I was sure only of the crystallized ginger, mandarin orange slices, and the coconut, but the close-up added green onions, peanuts, pimentos, and either sour cream or yogurt. I'm sure there's a chutney there, but which one is it?

Guess I'll go to the reveal!

Michael Leddy said...

I had scallions, coconut, mandarin oranges, peanuts, and chives.

The full cast, as identified by Life: “(top L-R): scallions, watermelon pickle, coconut, sambal; (2 L-R): sweet relish, Bombay duck, chutney, green peppers; (3 L-R): crystallized ginger, mandarin oranges, pimento, peanuts; (4 L-R): chives, sourcream, bacon and egg yolks.”

Elaine said...

Oh, swell. Now I'm hungry.