Thursday, March 29, 2012

Earl Scruggs (1924–2012)

“Earl was to the five-string banjo what Babe Ruth was to baseball”: Porter Wagoner, quoted in the New York Times obituary for Earl Scruggs, who died yesterday at the age of eighty-eight.

comments: 3

Gunther said...

This is sad. I remember "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" by Lester Flat and Earl Scruggs very well – it was one of my favourite tunes in my late teens.

Anonymous said...

Michael, have you seen this?
http://www.lib.unc.edu/blogs/ncm/index.php/2012/03/29/cleveland-county-courthouse-will-serve-as-home-to-one-tribute-to-earl-scruggs/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=cleveland-county-courthouse-will-serve-as-home-to-one-tribute-to-earl-scruggs

Michael Leddy said...

Gunther, I think that tune must have been part of the atmosphere at one time.

Mari, I had not seen it. Thanks for the link.