Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Overheard

A child, maybe five or six:

“Is this a restaurant?”

And another, younger still:

“Does this have waisins?”

I have been assured, by someone who should know, that I would never make it as a kindergarten teacher, because I’d be writing everything down. Too cute.

Related reading
All OCA “overheard” posts (Pinboard)

[Yes, it was a restaurant, of the fast-casual kind. I didn’t overhear the answer about the waisins.]

comments: 4

Elaine said...

Alas, there are never waisins when you need them.....

Michael Leddy said...

Or when you weally want them.

Rachel, I’m writing that down.

Geo-B said...

Ruth Krauss (wife of Harold and the Purple Crayon's Crockett Johnson) had a series of books of young school children's sayings, starting with A Hole Is to Dig: A First Book of First Definitions (1952) illustrated by Maurice Sendak, which really got Sendak's career as an artist going.

Michael Leddy said...

I love that book, George, and other books of hers too.

What’s really strangely timely about your suggestion: I was planning to post some definitions (of mine) that Elaine discovered in a folder.