Thursday, July 9, 2015

Rhymes with “Boops”

I know that tea is better for you than water. I know that, like chocolate and wine, it enhances cognitive performance. (Science!) I know too that it tastes swell, gives vitality, and makes you go “Boops.” (Advertising!) And I know that tea pairs well with madeleines, especially when Marcel Proust’s birthday is just a day away. (Literature!) But I did not know about the droops.


[“Tea Drives Away the Droops.” Poster by Edward McKnight Kauffer, 1936. Click for a larger view.]

This poster, a product of the International Tea Market Expansion Board, is Cooper Hewitt’s Object of the Day. Geoffrey Ripert describes the poster as “an early and particularly representative example of globalization in advertising, speaking directly to the consumer as an individual, ‘sensual’ being.” A being with droops.

Related reading
All OCA tea posts

comments: 5

Fresca said...

Linden tea, however, which Proust dipped his madeleines into, is a soporific:
it aids the droops!

Michael Leddy said...

Yes, lime-blossom tea. I didn’t know it’s a soporific. Thank you!

Zhoen said...

Some of it helps you p... nevermind. You ask us to keep it clean.

Elaine said...

I notice that one eye still has the droops....

Michael Leddy said...

I think she’s giving us a tea-crazed wink. Cooper Hewitt identifies her as the actress and singer Gracie Fields.