Saturday, March 12, 2016

Bernie Sanders downstate



Senator Bernie Sanders spoke at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, today. Elaine and I got on line at nine this morning. We were standing for the next seven and a half hours or so, with brief interludes of walking and sitting. Worth it? Yes.

ABC’s Chicago affiliate WLS estimated the (overflow) crowd at 4,800. ABC’s downstate affiliate WICS reported an estimate from fire officials of 20,000 showing up, most of whom could not get inside. Either way, yuge. It was a wonderful and wonderfully varied crowd. We spent much time talking with our neighbors in line, mostly U of I students. The kids are alright.

A great many introducers preceded Senator Sanders. The standouts: Ben Jealous and Tulsi Gabbard. Cabinet appointment, anyone?

My favorite Sanders line, which I transcribed word for word: “Now I have been criticized for saying this, so let me say it again.” Say what again? That health care is a right of all people.

I took many photographs. The accidental one above is my favorite. But here’s grainy proof that we were there, or at least that Bernie Sanders was there.

comments: 4

Pete said...

Bernie's a good man, and he's getting my vote on Tuesday. Sadly, I don't think he'll get the nomination, but I'll comfort myself by remembering how much his rational voice is needed in the Senate (which, after all, will still employ Cruz and Rubio).

Michael Leddy said...

The next few months are going to be stressful. It’d be nice to fast-forward to November and find out what choices we’ll have.

The Subliminal Mr Dunn said...

I've looked you up on the map, Michael! The roads seem very straight down your way.

Michael Leddy said...

Yes, they are. Rural routes will sometimes bend when they come to a town. I don’t know which would have come first, the town or the route.