Thursday, September 1, 2016

Domestic comedy

[The radio was on. ]

“Come listen! This person being interviewed is answering every question by starting with the word ‘sure.’”

“So?”

Related reading
All OCA domestic comedy posts (Pinboard)

comments: 4

Geo-B said...

"Oh! Oh!" cried Jeff Campbell, laughing, "I ain't going to be so bad for always, sure I ain't, Melanctha, my own darling. And sure you do forgive me really, and sure you love me true and really, sure Melanctha?" "Sure, sure, Jeff, boy, sure now and always, sure now you believe me, sure you do, Jeff, always." "I sure hope I does, with all my heart, Melanctha, darling." "I sure do that same, Jeff . . ." Gertrude Stein, Three Lives (1908) NY: Signet, 2003. P.139.

Michael Leddy said...

I like that!

If that bookstore goes under, there’ll still be at least one store in New York named for a Gertrude Stein book, the button store, Tender Buttons.

The Subliminal Mr Dunn said...

Over here, the equivalent of "sure" would be "absolument"!

Michael Leddy said...

Do people really do that? This “sure” was a response not to yes/no questions but to anything the interviewer asked. “What is involved in seeking funding?” “Sure,” &c.