Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Henry washes dishes


[Henry, May 23, 2017.]

In our household we still do dishes in this manner: by hand, standing in front of a curtained window. Aprons are optional. The space next to our sink that housed a dishwasher now has shelves holding pots and pans.

In a later panel in yesterday’s strip, Henry stops in front of an appliance store advertising a sale on “automatic dishwaters.” Boy, that’d make his life easier. Wikipedia: “By the 1970s dishwashers had become commonplace in domestic residences in North America and Western Europe.” The Henry world is moving toward the technology our household has abandoned.

Related reading
All OCA Henry posts (Pinboard)

comments: 2

Slywy said...

I don't have a curtained window, but I wash dishes by hand. I gather when the apartments in my building were renovated, they experimented with dishwashers, but the electrical system couldn't take it. I prefer washing by hand and still think of dishwashers as decadent. My brother and I were the official dish washer and dryer, respectively. I hated it then, but now I can appreciate it.

On another note, I didn't like electric typewriters because they too were decadent. Once word processors, which stored information, came out, I was good with them.

I still have the Royal Sabre typewriter my parents bought me while I was in high school at, as they reminded me, great sacrifice.

Michael Leddy said...

I could never get with electric typewriters, though I did use an electronic one for a while. I still have our family Olympia, which I sometimes lugged to class for show and tell when I taught William Carlos Williams. None of these typewriters did as well with dishes as washing by hand. :)